Foxtail Mosaic Virus (FoMV) Vector System Service
Creative BioMart Vir-Sci is an expert in both designing and engineering FoMV based expression vectors. By using highly optimized and standardized protocols, we permit high quality vectors used for long-term expression of exogenous proteins.
FoMV Based Expression System
Foxtail mosaic virus (FoMV), a member of the genus Potexvirus, possesses a wide host range including both poaceae and dicot species. Similar to PVX and other potexviruses, FoMV consists of a positive-sense single-stranded RNA genome with five open reading frames (ORFs) and a unique 5A gene cassette. Many plant viruses use subgenomic RNAs (sgRNAs) to express necessary elements located near their 3’ terminus. FoMV generates two sgRNAs, sgRNA1 and sgRNA2, for the expression of movement proteins and coat protein (CP), respectively. In order to design FoMV-based expression vectors, the core sequence of CP subgenomic promoter (sgp) was determined. A multiple cloning site (MCS) was inserted downstream of the duplicated sgp, and the ORF5A was disrupted in the meanwhile. This vector, designated as the first generation vector, is able to express foreign proteins efficiently in the inoculated tissues, however, no systemic movement is observed. Later on, the FoMV genome was further determined by the small RNA sequencing method. Based on this optimized genome, the second generation FoMV vector was developed using the same engineering strategy. Surprisingly, the newly designed vector exhibits not only robust expression activity but also systemic movement in multiple plant species including N. benthamiana, wheat and maize.
Figure 1. Schematic diagram of the FoMV based expression vector. The gene of interest is inserted between the duplicated sgp and the original sgp2 by either restriction enzyme or gateway cloning. 35S, Cauliflower mosaic virus (CaMV) 35S promoter; nos, nopaline synthase terminator; TGB, triple gene block.
Features of FoMV Based Vectors
- FoMV based vectors enable the expression of large foreign proteins up to 600 amino acids in their native forms.
- The rapid restriction endonuclease independent cloning method has great potentials for high-throughput studies.
- FoMV based vectors only induce mild symptoms in host plants, which facilitates the identification of phenotypes induced by foreign proteins.
- FoMV based vectors can infect a wide range of cereal crop including many wheat and maize cultivars.
- FoMV based vectors allows long-term expression of recombinant proteins.
- Proteins expressed by FoMV based vectors are able to move systemically in plants.
- Smart design of FoMV-based vector
- Fast turnaround time
- Top quality vectors with flexible production scale
- Strict QC testing to ensure correct sequences
- Competitive price in the market
Workflow of Foxtail Mosaic Virus (FoMV) Vector System Service
The expert team in Creative BioMart Vir-Sci will always find the best solution to your research goal. Please feel free to contact us for further questions.
- Bouton, C.; et al. Foxtail mosaic virus: A viral vector for protein expression in cereals. Plant Physiology, 2018, 177(4): 1352-1367.
- Liu, N.; et al. Foxtail mosaic virus-induced gene silencing in monocot plants. Plant physiology, 2016, 171(3): 1801-1807.